String Stream Auditions for 2020
Bookings for our 2020 String Stream Auditions are now CLOSED. If you still require a time, please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
- 2020 Violin Audition Excerpts
- 2020 Viola Audition Excerpts
- 2020 Cello Audition Excerpts
- 2020 Double Bass Audition Excerpts
Auditions are scheduled for Saturday the 16th and Sunday the 17th of November.
Each audition will be no more than 10 minutes in duration. Auditions will be held at the Ainslie Arts Centre in Braddon.
There is a fee of $30 per audition, plus booking fee, payable through the booking website, when booking your audition. The audition fee helps Music For Canberra cover the costs of venue hire and paying professional musical staff to take your audition.
One audition is required and you will be placed in the appropriate String Stream group based on your audition results. Please note that no audition is required for Camerata.
Acceptance into the String Stream is based upon an annual audition. All auditions include a solo work or movement, the required excerpts, and sight reading.
- Musicians auditioning for String Stream are expected to play no more than five minutes of a solo work or movement. Please consult with your private teacher in selecting a work or movement that best demonstrates your technical proficiency, command of the instrument and musicianship. The solo work or movement should be level-appropriate. Please also bring a photocopy of the music of your solo piece to give to the audition panel.
- Musicians auditioning for String Stream must also play their choice of two of the set excerpts. In consulation with your individual instrumental teacher, you are encouraged to select the most complex pieces that you are comfortable playing, to exemplify your skill level or the panel. Excerpts are available for download above (the number and difficulty of excerpts varies per instrument).
- Students will be asked to play a piece of music that they have not previously seen which completes the sight reading aspect of your audition.
At no point in your audition is an accompanist required.
ON THE DAY OF YOUR AUDITION
Musicians must arrive 20 minutes prior to the scheduled audition time to warm-up and focus on the music. Signage will direct where your relevant “green room” can be found to leave your belongings and warm up; please be considerate to other musicians in the space.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Phone: 02 6182 0030
ABOUT THE STRING STREAM
Our four youth String Stream groups are designed for beginners through to AMEB 4+, open to violin, viola, cello & double bass players. String Stream players participate in concerts at the end of each term. It is expected that the members in String Stream take additional individual instrumental tuition in addition to ensembles. Please note that no audition is required for Camerata.
Camerata is our youngest string ensemble and allows beginner string players the opportunity to participate in their first performance group, learn the fundamentals of ensemble technique, and work under the direction of a conductor for the first time.
Approximate standard: Beginner to AMEB 1 level
The Sinfonietta Strings ensemble provides the chance to work on technical and musical skills involved in ensemble playing, from bow strokes and exploration of second and third positions to intonation, section balance and following a conductor.
Approximate standard: AMEB 1-2 or equivalent
String Ensemble participants have the opportunity to consolidate and develop the technical skills they have learned in previous string ensemble groups & their additional individual tuition.
Approximate standard: AMEB 3-4 or equivalent
Peg Mantle Strings
Our most advanced youth string ensemble, Peg Mantle Strings focuses on developing the intricacies and skills required for advanced ensemble playing.
Approximate standard: AMEB 4+ or equivalent