Music For Canberra’s policies on fees & absences
Payment of fees
- Fees must be paid in a single instalment, before the first class of each term. Participants cannot commence classes if fees have not been paid in full.
- Where a member is experiencing genuine hardship with payments, they may apply to the office in writing before the due date of enrolment, at email@example.com.
- Where full payment has not been received by the due date and no such request submitted, Music for Canberra reserves the right to cancel or refuse enrolment. A $30 late payment fee will also be charged.
Fees may be paid via:
- Electronic funds transfer (Music for Canberra‘s account details are outlined on your invoice);
- In person at the office (cash, cheque, credit & debit cards excluding Diners & AMEX);
- By post (cheque, or by returning the credit card slip from your invoice);
- By email (by returning the credit card slip from your invoice); or
- Over the phone (credit/debit card).
Discounts only apply to enrolments for the full 10-week term. If the participant starts a program halfway through the term, no discount will apply.
The following discounts may apply to a student/family’s program fees^* (no discounts apply to membership fees):
- Concession Discount: 15% off program fees (the office must sight your concession card)
- Tertiary Student Discount: 15% off program fees (the office must sight your student or concession card)
- Family Discount: 10% off the fees of any 2nd and subsequent child enrolled in another Music for Canberra program
- Multiple Group or Ensemble Discount**: any student enrolling in a second group or ensemble receives a 10% discount for that second group or ensemble. This is designed to encourage students to participate in a variety of groups or ensembles across differing musical styles and instruments.
^ Any discount/s are only available on fees paid by the due date on your invoice (unless a payment plan has been arranged before the due date, as per “Payment of fees” above).
* Only one discount per invoice may apply. Discounts do not apply to programs where there is already a discounted fee (Seasoned Voices and the Mixed Ability Program).
** This discount can only apply to groups or ensembles which are financially viable, i.e. which have enough participants already enrolled. Please contact the office to discuss whether the 2nd group you’d like to join qualifies for this discount.
- New members to the organisation who join a class after the commencement of the term (for term-based programs) are entitled to a pro-rata reduction in class fees only.
- Orchestra fees are for membership within the orchestra and charged on a per term basis. There is no pro-rata reduction in term fees for enrolments in String Stream, JMO or CYO.
- Existing members who start the term late are not entitled to a pro-rata reduction, except where this has been agreed with the CEO at least 2 weeks before the commencement of the following term. All requests must be in writing.
Cancellations and Withdrawals
- If you do not intend to continue the following term, you must notify the office in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 2 weeks before the commencement of the following term.
- If you fail to notify the office before the due date above, you will be charged class fees at a pro-rata rate including the stipulated 2 weeks notice required above. This payment should be viewed as a late withdrawal fee.
- If a member decides to withdraw from a class during term, a credit or refund of fees will only be considered in exceptional circumstances. Any such request must be submitted in writing to email@example.com, and any approval will remain at the discretion of the CEO.
- Any refund will be subject to deduction of a $25 administration fee. The administration fee will be waived if the member chooses to instead accept a credit towards fees for the next term, or to donate the outstanding amount to Music for Canberra in lieu of a refund.
- Membership and term fees are not refundable, unless scheduled classes are cancelled by Music for Canberra. In this case, a credit towards next term’s fees will typically be given.
Music for Canberra reserves the right to cancel any class at any time, and change or substitute tutors, if circumstances necessitate this. All reasonable notice will be given to students wherever possible.
There are no refunds or credits for enrolled participants who fail to attend classes when tutors are present to teach.
Group lessons or ensembles missed by the student will not be credited or made up.
Participants in individual tuition classes can make a request to the office with a minimum of two weeks notice before the date of the lesson for a credit or make-up lesson. Requests will then be passed on to the tutor for their consideration.
The tutor is not paid any extra to conduct a make-up lesson for a student, so it is at the tutor’s discretion whether they want to come in on their own time and teach you for free.
Sickness and other absences
Music for Canberra relies on the judgement of parents/carers as to whether a child or dependant is too ill to attend classes; please consider other participant’s health & well-being.
Replacement lessons or credits will not be arranged for absences due to school activities, work travel or holidays taken during term. Just as a regular school does not give refunds of classes missed for students’ own external commitments, nor does Music for Canberra; our term fees secure your lesson time with your teacher for the entire term.
Updated June 2019